Sometimes, you can find a lower calorie option to satisfy your sweet craving. Note: Desserts are typically never “healthier” (unless it’s fruit) in terms of nutrition, but you can choose options with less calories and fat. Some examples:
· Low fat/no sugar added pudding or jello
· Hot chocolate
· Make substitutions in your baking: applesauce for oil, splenda/truvia for sugar, etc.
· Chocolate milk (skim milk, add no-sugar chocolate syrup)
These tricks can you with any of the above approaches to controlling your intake of sweets. Usually a craving will pass if you can postpone 20-30 minutes.
· Distract yourself with an activity: take a walk, play the Wii, call a friend, paint your nails, read a magazine
· Drink a big glass of water, add some lemon or mint or a cup of hot tea
· Chew gum or brush your teeth
So what is your preferred approach for controlling cravings for sweets? Avoid, control, or substitute? I would love to hear what has worked best for you!