DISCLAIMER: WOMEN CANNOT GET BIG & BULKY MERELY BY LIFTING WEIGHTS/STRENGTH TRAINING. WOMEN WILL ONLY GET BIG, BULKY MUSCLES WITH THE ADDITION OF SUPPLEMENTS/HORMONES!
- 1 Set: Good for beginners and to maintain strength
- 2 Sets: Good for strength gain, minimal increase in muscle size
- 3+Sets: Good for gains in strength and power, increase in muscle size
- 1-8 reps: Maximum strength/power
- 8-12 reps: Strength and hypertrophy (increase in muscle size)
- 12-20 reps: Muscle endurance (I really don't think more than 15 reps are necessary)
However many reps you do, use a challenging enough weight that the last couple of reps are difficult - you would be unable to continue any further. You will follow a double progressive program. Example: you can do 10 reps of bicep curls with 10lb dumbbells. Eventually you work your way up to 15 reps...you increase your weight to 12.5 lb dumbbells, and perform 10 reps. Work your way to 15 reps...increase weight to 15lb dumbbells. Imagine an ascending set of stairs.
You want to rest for a minimum of 48 hours before working the same body part. (Take a day off before working that muscle group again.)
Rest 30 seconds - 2 minutes between sets if training for endurance, 2-5 minutes between sets if training for strength.
BEGINNER WEIGHT PROGRAM
I recommend using machines when you are starting a strength training program. Machines help to control your form until you build some base strength and muscle memory. You will want to change up your program in 4-6 weeks. Add new exercises. Have fun!
- Leg press - gluts & legs
- Leg extension - quadriceps
- Leg curl - hamstrings
- Calf raise - calves (gastrocnemius & soleus)
- Lat pull down - back (latissiumus dorsi)
- Chest press - pectoralis major
- Shoulder press - deltoids
- Arm curl - biceps
- Arm extension - triceps
Plus exercises for your core (abdominals and lower back)!